Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Learning to Speak in Tongues Blog

I started this blog because I often meet people from countries and languages located around the world. Sometimes they know very little English and so our communication is limited. I have often asked people how to greet someone in another tongue, like Dinka: "Ye ka da;" "How are you?"

Because of these experiences, I started praying and asking God to give me the ability to speak in tongues for the purpose of evangelism (I'm not talking about unintelligible sounds, but rather foreign languages). I've got to admit that this request seems impossible to me, since I've never taken any language classes other than English (and they weren't teaching me how to speak it).

Mostly I'm trying to learn Spanish, which is fun but hard. I learn differently than others, so this is my attempt in my own way. Therefore, I will occasionally post some of what I'm learning, and those who want to learn with me, or who want to help me learn can comment. Any help or interest is appreciated.

I also tend to forget things, so this is another good way to keep it on file :)

Soli Deo Gloria.

4 comments:

Moon said...

This is such a great idea! I like the title and concept of the blog.
The literal translation was pretty good, looking forward to future posts.
I'm a tough teacher so I'll be around here ready to correct if needed and help as well.
God bless!

Penn Tomassetti said...

Rita,
I can't express the thanks I give to God, because I've been praying a lot to learn how to speak Spanish. I don't see my different friends who are from South America enough for them to teach me how to speak it. So you are a huge help. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful that the Lord has led me to your blog! I am trying to learn Spanish, as a middle-aged grandmother! Your blog is a great encouragement to me, and I look forward to following your progress. I appreciate the helpful links that you have listed.

I am inspired by you to begin a new blog to chart my progress as well :-) I have several blogs, but my new one is: http://aprendiendohablarespanol.blogspot.com/
Note the creative title :-)

Penn Tomassetti said...

Hi Brenda,

That's great that you are learning Spanish too! May the Lord use your language learning to be a witness to latinoamericanos y -canas. I looked at your blog, hope we can keep up the interaction.

Dios te bendiga y gracia a ti!