Friday, April 12, 2013

Language Studies Update

When I began writing this blog, I was monolingual. I could understand, speak and write only in English.

After meeting hundreds of people through evangelism on the streets of Philadelphia, as well as other cities, I began to ask foreigners how to say simple phrases in their languages, like: "Hello. How are you? I am fine. Thank you".

One African man I met at a church in Lancaster, PA, told me I was a linguist. I did not understand anything about linguistics at that time.

Today I speak Spanish fluently, by God's grace, and I also read the Greek New Testament. In addition to these blessings, I consider myself a beginning student of linguistics.

I enjoy listening to linguistics courses on iTunes. I don't have time to list them all. In addition to this, I am learning Mandarin Chinese on audio CD in my car.

Other languages that I am a student of include Latin, Hebrew, Italian, French, German, Modern Greek, and Haitian Creole.

I'm almost out of time, so I will make a quick turn from writing here on my tongues blog to studying translation.

Arrivederci per ora.

No comments: