Friday, October 17, 2008

The New Birth Spanish Tract

I have this tract that I like in Spanish, and I wanted to read it to learn to better understand Spanish. Here are a few of the beginning paragraphs that I translated with only some help with the words and phrases I didn't understand from a translation tool. My English translations appear in blue following the red Spanish paragraphs.

LA ENSEÑANZA DE CRISTO ACERCA DEL NUEVO NACIMIENTO
L. R. SHELTON JR.
1923-2003

Encontramos la enseñanza del Señor Jesucristo acerca del nuevo nacimiento en el capítulo 3 del Evangelio según San Juan, en las instrucciones dadas por El Señor a Nicodemo, uno de los jefes de los judíos quien vino a Él durante la noche. "Respondió Jesús y le dijo: De cierto, de cierto te digo, que el que no naciere de nuevo, no puede ver el reino de Dios. Nicodemo le dijo: ¿Cómo puede un hombre nacer siendo viejo? ¿Puede acaso entrar por segunda vez en el vientre de su madre, y nacer? Respondió Jesús: De cierto, de cierto te digo, que el que no naciere de agua y del Espíritu, no puede entrar en el reino de Dios. Lo que es nacido de la carne, carne es; y lo que es nacido del Espíritu, espiritu es. No te maravilles de que te dije: os es necesario nacer de nuevo. El viento sopla de donde quiere, y oyes su sonido; mas ni sabes de dónde viene, ni a dónde va; asi es todo aquel que es nacido del Espíritu" (Juan 3:3-8).


THE TEACHING OF CHRIST ABOUT THE NEW BIRTH
L. R. SHELTON, JR.
1923-2003

We find the teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ about the new birth in chapter 3 of the Gospel according to Saint John, in the instructions given by the Lord to Nicodemus, one of the leaders of the Jews who came to Him during the night. "Jesus responded and said: Certainly, certainly I say to you, that whoever is not born again, cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus said: How can a man be born when he is old? Can he perhaps enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus responded: Certainly, certainly I say to you, that whoever is not born of water and of the Spirit, cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh, is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit, is spirit. Do not marvel that I said: it is necessary for you to be born again. The wind blows where it pleases, and you hear its sound; but do not know where it comes from, nor where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit" (John 3:3-8).


En éstos versos encontramos tres cosas. Primero, EL NUEVO NACIMIENTO ES NECESARIO si es que el hombre ha de entrar, ver ó tomar parte en el reino de Dios. ¿Por qué? Porque "la carne y la sangre no pueden heredar el reino de Dios" (I Corintios 15:50). El reino de Dios es un reino espiritual, estando nosotros exluídos por nuestra naturaleza pecaminosa y carnal.

In these verses we find three things. First, THE NEW BIRTH IS NECESSARY if man is to enter, see or take part in the kingdom of God. Why? Because "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God" (I Corinthians 15:50). The kingdom of God is a spiritual kingdom, us being excluded for our carnal and sinful nature.

Segundo, encontramos que EL NUEVO NACIMIENTO ESLA OBRA DEL ESPIRITU SANTO, quien es soberano en todas Sus operaciones. Es Su trabajo el dar vida a todos aquéllos cuyos nombres aparecen escritos en el Libro de la Vida. Nuestro Señor dijo en Su oración sacerdotal en Juan 17 que el Padre le había dado poder sobre toda carne, para que diese vida eterna a cuantos el Padre le había dado. Es a través de Su Santo Espíritu que nuestro Señor Jesús vivifíca, ó dá vida eterna, en el nuevo nacimiento a aquéllos que el Padre le ha dado.

Second, we find that THE NEW BIRTH IS THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, who is sovereign in all His operations. It is His work to give life to all those whose names appear written in the Book of Life. Our Lord said in His priestly prayer in John 17 that the Father had given Him power over all flesh, in order to give eternal life to whoever the Father had given Him. It is through His Holy Spirit that our Lord Jesus gives life to, or gave eternal life, in the new birth to those who the Father has given Him.

Tercero, encontramos que EL NUEVO NACIMIENTO Y LA CONVERSIÓN NO SON LO MISMO. En el nuevo nacimiento el pecador se encuentra en un estado pasivo; en la conversión el pecador toma parte activa. En mi concepción natural y en mi nacimiento me encontraba pasivo porque la concepción no vino de mí. Tampoco añadí nada en mi crecimiento en los nueve meses que estuve en el vientre de mi madre, pues mi madre suplió todo. Tan pronto nací, comencé a llorar. Me encontraba muy activo porque estaba vivo fuera del vientre y aún necesitaba todas las atenciones de mi madre. Lloraba porque estaba vivo.

Third, we find that THE NEW BIRTH AND CONVERSION ARE NOT THE SAME. In the new birth the sinner finds himself in a passive state; in conversion the sinner takes part actively. In my natural conception and in my birth I found myself in a passive state because conception did not come from me. Neither did I add anything to my growth during the nine months that I was in my mother's womb, for my mother supplied everything. As soon as I was born, I began to cry. I was found to be very active because I was alive out of the womb and still was needing all the attention of my mother. I was crying because I was alive.

More to come...
Más a venir...

Available from:
Chapel Library • 2603 W. Wright St. • Pensacola, FL 32505 • www.mountzion.org

2 comments:

Moon said...

Hi Penn!
some corrections :)
1. "...si es que el hombre ha de entrar, ver ó tomar parte en el reino de Dios."
if man is to enter, see or take part in the kingdom of God.


2. "...estando nosotros exluídos por nuestra naturaleza pecaminosa y carnal."
us being excluded for our carnal and sinful nature.

3. "...nacimiento el pecador se encuentra en un estado pasivo;"
the sinner finds himself in a passive state

4. "...me encontraba pasivo porque la concepción no vino de mí..."
I found myself in a passive state because conception did not come from me.

5. "...pues mi madre suplió todo..."
for my mother supplied everything.

Penn Tomassetti said...

Hey Rita, Thank you so much for this! I'm going to make those corrections to the post. Gracias!