Thursday, October 2, 2008

Something I discovered in Psalm 23 (Spanish NVI version)

I took a break to pop open my small NVI Nuevo Testamento con Salmos y Proverbios, and it flipped to Salmo 23. I was reading and trying to imagine in my mind how it would translate from Spanish to English, when my eyes landed on this verse:

Me guía por sendas de justicia
por amor a su nombre.
(Salmo 23:3b).

The thing that struck me was that while I was translating in my mind the words, "Me [He] guides by ways of justice for love to His name." I thought, that was amazing, because in English it says, "He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His own name's sake." Apparently, in Spanish, the way to say that is to say that God leads us in right paths out of love of His own name... not because He is somehow overwhelmed with our worth and can't help but loving us for who we are... no, no, no... but it says for love of His own name. Which is the same as saying He does it because He loves Himself and wants to display His glory by leading us. God leads believers in paths of righteousness out of love for Himself. So God loves us because He loves Himself, which is just another one of those things that makes me think, people will read this and think John Piper made that up, but John Piper didn't, God said it 3,000 years ago with the pen of a Shepherd named David.

"Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord GOD: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations to which you came. And I will vindicate the holiness of my great name..." (Ezekiel 36:22-23).

"Yet he saved them for his name's sake, that he might make known his mighty power." (Psalm 106:8).

No comments: